Thursday, January 21, 2010

Two in One Day!

Another thing I've been wanting to share on my blog is this crazy video I watched in my Behavioral Neuroscience (AND my Physiological Psychology) class. Chapter one in both books covers the idea of Lobotomies. The idea of taking brain matter, or severing brain tissue in the frontal lobe of the brain to cure severe mental diseases, such as Schizophrenia. To me, it's a horrible procedure, and watching this video twice slightly disgusted me. It's so crazy to me that a man would think that randomly affecting someone's brain the way Walter Freeman did was the right way to cure a disease. However, as was pointed out in another class, sometimes what we think is right at the time, and the best treatment, will be seen as unethical and ridiculous in the future. We'll see what the future brings for the severing of the Corpus Collosum, the area in your brain that connects the two hemispheres, in epilepsy patients.

Enjoy the video. Post your comments! How do you feel about this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment