Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The best thing is that it's happening to you and me

This is a post I've been meaning to write since...well since I got my blog. It's just been a matter of how to word it and when was a good time to write it.

Tomorrow, February 19th, will mark TWO full years of being with someone I consider to be the most amazing thing to have ever happened to me. Of course, we had a large break in the middle, but that doesn't matter. For a total of two years I've had the opportunity to call him my boyfriend (or whatever he was at certain points...) and I have to say, I couldn't be happier.

Yeah, we've had some rough points and some parts where I didn't even know how to describe our relationship, but I think everything we've been through has made us even stronger. He has been my biggest fan (okay...other than my grandfather who I'm pretty sure cares more about my schooling than my mother) and my strongest supporter. Last semester when I struggled through school I don't know how I would have stayed sane without him. And I feel so blessed to have him in my life.

This year has proved to be very trying on our relationship. It's not exactly easy to live 600 miles from the person you love, seeing them every other month or so and only having phone conversations in between. But, I think that it's been one of the best things for us. I get a lot of people who say "I don't understand how you do it." "I commend you for what you're doing." and even "It won't last, you know that right?" It's those people who I have to ignore. When it comes to "doing the long distance thing" it's all about effort. Yeah, it's not gonna last unless I try and make it. And at times, I'm sure it's gotten really close to failing. Saying "I love you" over the phone isn't exactly the same as face to face. I think one of the most important things about long distance is finding little ways to show you care. Hand written letters instead of emails, making sure you don't forget holidays (just because you can't exchange gifts in person doesn't mean you can't find an alternative), and even things like watching the same TV show at the same time while sitting on the phone can help.

I think one of the most important lessons I've learned is how to give and receive comfort over the phone. It's a lot different to try and fix a crappy day when all you can do is talk, no kissing or hugs to make it all better. It's a way to learn more about each other I think. And being long distance really has made us stronger. It of course has it's downsides, there are some days where I'll miss him like crazy and it makes it even harder to be apart. But, eventually it dies away and becomes a little easier to cope with.

It takes a lot more effort than a normal relationship to keep a long distance relationship afloat. But, I feel it is one of the toughest tests to pass and if you do, you have a great thing. You have to have a strong base in your relationship to start, but I think being long distance makes that foundation even stronger in the end. And the few times during the school year I do get to see him, are made so special. We rarely fight and we're determined to get the most out of it. You learn to pick your battles, knowing you only have a few days together makes you want to spend as little time as possible bickering and more time pleasing the other person. When I come home I feel like the luckiest girl in the world because I can truly see how much I mean to him.

Sometimes, I hate being so far away, especially when I think about how long I have to do it for. I just try to view it as a challenge to overcome and look at the reward in the end. After two years of calling him mine I look forward to the time ahead. I can't imagine being with a more incredible man.

0 comments:

Post a Comment