Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rubbing Shoulders, Bumping Elbows, and Dropping Names

One thing I've always loved is being involved at my school. In high school I was a part of so many clubs and extra curricular activities that I was always busy, which is something I enjoy. I hate having down time where I'm bored. (Hasn't been much of a problem lately though.) So when I came to Tech I knew I had to get involved with something. Before I found DZ I found S.E.B (The Student Entertainment Board). We're the group in charge of looking up and contacting agents, booking big name shows, publicizing the heck out of them, and then taking care of the performers when they get here.

I have to say that I have the coolest position on the board. I enjoy looking up shows and booking them and when their successful being able to say "This is my show. I did this." (Okay, so I haven't gotten the chance yet, but next year...!) However, I love being hospitality more. Yeah, it's some work. Going out and buying alllll the food the performers request and then setting up their Green Room and Dressing Rooms making sure everything looks perfect. But then the best part is when they get here, especially when they're nice guys. Last night we hosted Gabriel Iglesias and his friends, Noe Gonzalez and Martin Moreno as well as his "road manager" who I never really caught the name of.
They were all great guys and really funny. I was nervous at first since it was my first time actually doing my job, but Gabriel was such a nice guy. Although, the highlite of my eveything had to be our midnight Perkins run. Hanging out with the guys and two other SEB members was a blast. We sat there making fun of everything and picking on the two drunk girls near us. And I also ended up getting some free french toast out of it. hah

SEB has been a fun time so far, it gets me back into theatre, just a little, and meeting some really cool people. And even interships. After a five minute converstaion with an agent from Off Broadway Booking they wanted to invite me to apply for a summer internship with them in NYC this summer. Sadly I wasn't able to take it, but it's still such an awesome opportunity. And I can't forget the time I got to take my favorite band to lunch in my dorm cafeteria. When Relient K and House of Heroes came up we took the guys to lunch and got to hang out with them. It's a really cool opportunity.

So there's the end of my name drop, for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment